Post by : Saif
Tesla and eight other automakers are recalling around 4.3 million vehicles in China over concerns that emergency door-release mechanisms could be difficult to locate or operate during a crash.
The recall is the largest automotive recall campaign in China's history and comes as Beijing increases scrutiny of vehicle safety across the country's rapidly expanding electric vehicle industry.
The measures include software updates, warning labels and improved markings around emergency door handles. Most of the fixes can be completed remotely through over-the-air software updates.
Tesla's recall is the largest among the automakers involved. The company will recall about 2.98 million imported and China-made Model 3, Model Y, Model S and Model X vehicles starting September 25.
According to China's State Administration for Market Regulation, Tesla's emergency mechanical door-release handles may be difficult for occupants or rescuers to identify after a serious collision and electrical system failure.
Tesla's remedy includes adding warning labels and remotely updating vehicle software so that windows can automatically lower following a collision.
Tesla did not immediately comment on the recall.
Other automakers included in the recall campaign are Xiaomi, Leapmotor, Xpeng and Geely Holding, among others.
Xiaomi will recall around 390,000 vehicles, while Leapmotor will recall approximately 371,000 and Xpeng about 264,000. Several other manufacturers are recalling smaller numbers of vehicles.
Leapmotor said its corrective action would include adding warning labels and upgrading power-window control software. The company said it was handling the recall as part of its responsibility toward customers.
Xiaomi said it had no additional information beyond the regulatory notice, while Geely and Xpeng declined to comment.
Read more: Campaign Group Urges EU to Reject Automakers’ Push for Biofuels After 2035
Emergency door-release handles have attracted increasing attention from regulators because they can become difficult to find or operate during emergencies.
The issue has become particularly sensitive following incidents involving vehicles that caught fire after crashes, when passengers or rescuers struggled to open the doors.
Chinese state media previously reported that a driver died after a Xiaomi SU7 sedan crashed and caught fire, with bystanders reportedly unable to open the vehicle's doors to rescue him.
China has also announced plans to ban concealed door handles from 2027. The design, popularised by Tesla, has become widely used by Chinese electric vehicle manufacturers.
The record recall comes as Chinese authorities strengthen safety oversight of the country's automotive industry.
China's electric vehicle market has expanded rapidly while manufacturers compete aggressively on prices and introduce increasingly software-dependent technologies.
Regulators are paying greater attention to safety defects as vehicles rely more heavily on electronic systems and software.
Analysts said the financial impact of the latest recalls could remain relatively limited because many of the fixes can be delivered remotely.
Modern over-the-air software updates can reduce the need for vehicles to visit service centres and lower the cost and downtime associated with large-scale recalls.
Concerns over concealed and electronic door handles are not limited to China.
US regulators have also examined the possibility that occupants could become trapped inside vehicles after electrical failures. The US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said last month that it would consider new safety standards addressing the risk.
However, the agency said automakers had not notified it of plans to conduct a similar recall in the United States.
China's record recall highlights the growing regulatory focus on vehicle safety as automakers increasingly use software, electronic controls and new vehicle designs.
#trending #latest #Tesla #TeslaRecall #ChinaRecall #AutoRecall #ElectricVehicles #EVNews #TeslaChina #AutomotiveNews #CarSafety #VehicleSafety #XiaomiEV #Leapmotor #Xpeng #Geely #ChinaEV #EVIndustry #TechNews
Advances in Aerospace Technology and Commercial Aviation Recovery
Insights into breakthrough aerospace technologies and commercial aviation’s recovery amid 2025 chall
Defense Modernization and Strategic Spending Trends
Explore key trends in global defense modernization and strategic military spending shaping 2025 secu
Tens of Thousands Protest in Serbia on Anniversary of Deadly Roof Collapse
Tens of thousands in Novi Sad mark a year since a deadly station roof collapse that killed 16, prote
Canada PM Carney Apologizes to Trump Over Controversial Reagan Anti-Tariff Ad
Canadian PM Mark Carney apologized to President Trump over an Ontario anti-tariff ad quoting Reagan,
The ad that stirred a hornets nest, and made Canadian PM Carney say sorry to Trump
Canadian PM Mark Carney apologizes to US President Trump after a tariff-related ad causes diplomatic
Bengaluru-Mumbai Superfast Train Approved After 30-Year Wait
Railways approves new superfast train connecting Bengaluru and Mumbai, ending a 30-year demand, easi